Sunday, October 18, 2009

Singing

I'm very lucky because Jake actually likes to hear me sing. I've been singing to him since before he was born, and I have fond memories of that early newborn time when he had not yet gotten the 'nighttime is for sleeping' concept and I would sing to him to calm him down and get him back to sleep. Singing has only continued as I sometimes use it to soothe him for a nap or bedtime, particularly after we stopped nursing.

He's at the point now where he actually requests specific songs for me to sing to him. And even better, he is starting to sing along with me! It is so sweet, I can see that he is trying to learn/memorize the songs and that he enjoys it.

Right now one of the songs that he is requesting nightly is On Top of Spaghetti, a silly song that I learned when I was young.

On top of spaghetti,
All covered with cheese,
I lost my poor meatball,
When somebody sneezed.

(Achoo!)

It rolled off the table,
And on to the floor,
And then my poor meatball,
Rolled out of the door.

It rolled in the garden,
And under a bush,
And then my poor meatball,
Was nothing but mush.

The mush was as tasty
As tasty could be,
And then the next summer,
It grew into a tree.

The tree was all covered,
All covered with moss,
And on it grew meatballs,
And tomato sauce.

So if you eat spaghetti,
All covered with cheese,
Hold on to your meatball,
And don't ever sneeze.

(Achooooo!)

1 comment:

Joi said...

Man, Grey LOVES that song..... he also loves Do Your Ears Hang Low, Wheels on the Bus, Twinkle Twinkle...

We sing often around here.