Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Wedding Song

I've been thinking about how much fun it will be for Jake to have this blog to look back on and read as he is older. So I think occassionally I will share a story for fun.

This first story is about the first song that Mike and I danced to as husband and wife. You know, the one where you are on the dance floor, alone, with 140 pairs of eyes on you. That one.
After finding out that we were expecting a baby to join us, we decided it was time to get married (something we had been planning to do, anyway). My mother and I planned the wedding in 3 months. About a month before the wedding was to take place, I was reminded that I needed to pick a song for that first dance as husband and wife, and also for the one where I would dance with my father. Luckily, the latter was easy -- I chose "What a Wonderful World" which is a song that my dad and have danced to on numerous occassions, and it is very special to us. It was even more amazing to dance to that song knowing a baby was on the way to join us!

Anyway, Mike and I needed a song. Both of us being pretty clueless about music, I turned to my musically intelligent sister for help. She sent me an email listing 4 different potential songs. (Incidently, before this, my family had been sitting around the dining room table discussing this topic. Instead of coming up with potential songs for the wedding, we greatly amused ourselves by coming up with songs that should NOT be sung as a first wedding song. "Love the One You're With" was one example. Heh.) Anyway, I can't remember the other 3 songs Amy suggested, but the one I picked was Frank Sinatra's "Fly Me to the Moon". We really liked the lyrics and felt that it suited us the best. So that was settled.

As the wedding date drew closer, I started asking people if they had a recording of this song, because, well, we'd never heard it before. Nobody had a recording. Not a problem, I thought, I'd find it somehow. Well, somehow, it was suddenly the day of our wedding. There was so much going on and I was so excited. We had a beautiful ceremony, greeted everyone afterwards, and then, suddenly, we were on the dance floor, alone. With 140 pairs of eyes on us. About to dance to a song that we had never listened to before. I tried really hard not to start giggling hysterically and instead focused on my brand new husband's face. The song was surprisingly upbeat, I expected it to be more slow. But then again, what did I know? We did our best, got through it, and went on to have a fantastic wedding party. I have no idea if we did pretty well or if we were completely out of sync with the song and truthfully, I don't want to know :)


Fly me to the moon
And let me play among the stars
Let me see what spring is like
On Jupiter and Mars
In other words hold my hand
In other words darling kiss me


Fill my life with song
And let me sing forevermore
You are all I hope for
All I worship and adore
In other words please be true
In other words I love you

4 comments:

Hedy said...

Awww. I love stories like that one. We chose "In My Life" by the Beatles.

Perfect sappy, cry your eyes out first dance song, and we did.

-H

Unknown said...

Aw man! that was the song Ryan and I danced to at our wedding 12 years ago. :) we took a dance lesson so we could dance to it! lol
xo korin

UrbanHippieMama said...

What a neat story!! I love this idea of sharing stories here that you want to pass on to your children.

The planning of your wedding sounds exactly like ours!! We were already expecting to get married, but then found out we were expecting a baby and we planned the wedding of our dream in 3 months!

And we walked down the aisle after our ceremony to "what a wonderful world"... such a beautiful song!!

K8es said...

Ha our song was the Beatles' "Obladi Oblada" because we're both musically clueless and Kevin didn't really care what song we had (bad omen?) and I thought it would be funny to play on his last name (Jones). That plus it's one of the few songs I know the words to thanks to my parents' love for the Beatles!