Wednesday, May 9, 2007

What Not to Do

Life isn't perfect, and we're all human, myself included. Here are some things you should NOT do...

Don't stop drinking water. These 10+ months that I've been nursing Jake I've been good about drinking enough water. However, the past few days I wasn't drinking enough. Just busy, I guess. I was rewarded with plugged ducts/mastitis for my non-drinking efforts. Ouch!! Drinking lots of water, hot compresses, massage, hot showers, and lots of nursing on that side helped. And a wonderful mother who came and took care of my baby and my kitchen so I could nap and get some rest helped so much too. It just so happens that the day before I had cooked up a storm and used just about every pot and pan in my kitchen. Sorry, Mom, and thanks! I'm much better today. So if you're nursing. DRINK WATER! And if you're not nursing, drink water! Cuz it's good for you!

Don't mess up the recipe for strawberry-rhubarb pie. Because that is just sad. Here is the recipe I used:
3 cups sliced strawberries
3 cups rhubarb, 1/4 inch diced
1/2 cup sugar
1 and 1/2 tablespoons tapioca
1/3 cup orange juice
1/4 teaspoon organic orange peel
2 pie crusts (one for the dish, one for the top with holes cut in)
Bake at 400 for 20 minutes then turn heat down to 375 and bake for an additional 30 minutes.
So I made pie, and Mike and I took our first bites. We knew immediately that something was wrong, very wrong. It tasted good but the texture was awful. I had messed something up. Can't remember the last time I messed up a recipe. Looking at the recipe I realized I had put 1 and 1/2 CUPS!! of tapioca in the recipe. Oops! Having the tapicoa fall in between cups of sugar and cups of orange juice is what threw me off. I ended up tossing that pie and making another one later on. The second one was delicious. So don't mess up pie recipes!

Don't put chocolate in lunch tins when it's above 70 degrees out. Nobody wants to eat melted chocolate unless it's in a cup. Mmmm delicious thick, warm chocolate on a cold, rainy day in Spain with my sister. I digress... Mike's going to need to start carrying a cooler to work since he doesn't have access to a fridge. Also, I haven't made Mike's lunch these last 2 days due to the plugged duct and needing to rest, rather he *gasp* made his own lunch of peanut butter and jelly sandwiches.

Don't stop trying to see if your child likes grapefruit. Jake has tasted it 3-4 times previously, and always gave us the sour pucker face (which is SO FUNNY). Today I had some grapefruit and he was interested so I let him have a taste. I received the sour pucker face but then he wanted more! And more! And he was upset when it was all gone! So I prepared the other half and we ate that, too. Amazing.

No comments: